Site Network: Home |

GSoC Coding session begins...

...officially on 23rd May. I haven't had a head start yet though, mainly due to my college activities (final year project, presentations, mids etc), plus also because I was having discussion with my mentor and the community to get a good idea of what would be the right way of going through with my project, before I actually begin to write the code.

I've been testing different code coverage tools for Python in the past couple of weeks. The ones I specifically tested were coverage.py, Pycoco, and figleaf. All are actually pretty easy to use tools generating good reports. Though I found Pycoco to be slower mainly due to it downloading its own copy of Python and doing code coverage analysis on the downloaded source.

All of the above tools perform code coverage for Python 2.x, though figleaf has been ported by its create (Titus Brown) to Py3k, but I guess it pretty much in early stage. I haven't had it tried out yet but that's something on my priorities list.

Gcov is a code coverage tool that can be used with GCC to perform code coverage analysis on your C code. I'll be using it for C code coverage for Python 2.6. Later I'll extend it to Py3k.

I'll put more details on the blog and update regarding the development work, in the coming days.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Glad to hear you found coverage.py useful. Keep in mind it's been massively updated for a new release (any day!).

    I haven't started a Py3k version, but that is next on the list when I get back to feature work.

    Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help...
    M. Shuaib Khan said...
    Ned: Thanks for the comment. Glad to hear that coverage.py is under active development and ready for updates. Eager to get hold of the updated version.

Post a Comment